- This event has passed.
Morning Meditation and Yoga with Annette (Monday)
August 8 @ 8:30 am - 9:30 amFree
This morning practice will focus on breath through the practice of Pranayama and conscious movement of Asana (posture) of Yoga. Pranayama is the practice of controlling or conditioning the breath and is a centering, inward practice that goes into the meditative sphere. Pranayama consists of techniques designed to gain awareness of the respiratory process while recognizing the connection between the breath, the mind, and the emotions. Asana is a conscious body posture cueing movement to mindfulness.
Muskoka Chautauqua is a community for the curious and creative and this practice will open your mind and heart to fully engage in what is happening in this moment by aligning the body, mind, and spirit.
In the most classical form of Hatha yoga flexibility does not mean availability.
Register with Muskoka Chautauqua and Annette Newton who is a Nationally Certified Iyengar yoga teacher, Regulated Kinesiologist and holds her Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology for 9 mornings of Iyengar yoga. Here mobility, stability, strength and alignment of body and breath will be the focus. At the end of each day, you will learn to move safely in an area you have never moved before while lifting your heart and lengthening your spine.
Yoga is like music – Rhythm of body + Melody of Mind + Harmony of Soul = Symphony of Life BKS Iyengar)
Yoga is a way of life; it is an art, a science, a philosophy (BKS Iyengar)
By incorporating safe conscious movement and breathwork and into each day here is look at what the week will look like:
- Day 1 (Saturday) – What is mobility vs. flexibility?
- Day 2 (Sunday) – What is resistance and lengthening? Did you know your diaphragm is a muscle that can be lengthened and widened?
- Day 3 (Monday) – What is conscious movement and what is posture?
- Day 4 (Tuesday) – How is your nervous system controlled by your breath?
- Day 5 (Wednesday) – What is the difference between the mind and brain and what is the connection to our thoughts?
- Day 6 (Thursday) – How to use yoga to teach your body and mind to be stable? The final pose teaches nothing it is learned in the journey from the beginning to end.
- Day 7 (Friday) – What is mindfulness?
- Day 8 (Saturday) – Why do yoga?
- Day 9 (Sunday) – What does integration and consolidation mean in yoga?
Annette Newton has deep ancestry in Muskoka and is a Nationally Certified Iyengar Teacher. She is a Regulated Kinesiologist and in April completed her master’s in counselling psychology. Annette’s family are direct descendants of Tobin’s Island with her great grandmother being Ellen Tobin. Annette’s family has continued to maintain cottaging in the Port Carling area for over 100 years. Annette’s philosophy of lifelong learning, enrichment and personal growth in the present moment will enhance your overall experience of this week’s event as it will centre you daily to be present. The beautiful natural outdoor environment and rich history of the area leads to perfect setting for personal growth and enrichment.